Научно-публицистический журнал “Центр и периферия”
The scientific journal “Center and Periphery”
Rakhimov R. N., Urazova A. I., Frolova I. V.
The article deals with the reflection of unique objects of natural history that have historical and cultural significance, which have sacred properties for the Bashkirs in the territorial heraldry of the municipal districts of Bashkortostan, included in the Toratau Geopark. The impetus for the development of territorial symbols in Russia was the adoption in 2003 of the Federal Law “On the general principles of the organization of local self-government in the Russian Federation”. For Bashkortostan, an additional factor in the heraldic comprehension of the territory was the preparation for the celebrations dedicated to the 450th anniversary of the voluntary entry of the region into Russia. The absence of heraldry traditions in the public consciousness, the symbolic subjectivism of the local elites were balanced by the work of artists and the work of the Commission of the President of Bashkortostan on State Symbols. The heraldry of the Sterlitamaksky, Ishimbaysky, Gafuriysky, Meleuzovsky districts included the main symbols of the area, emphasized the connection between the landscape and natural phenomena with history. The new coats of arms intuitively assimilated archetypal principles (tamgas, birds, ornament), rooting in antiquity, forming a projection of the past into the present. The modernity of Bashkortostan is reflected in the emblems in the form of symbols associated with developed agriculture, oil production, the organization of a health resort at mineral water sources, it is emphasized by the dynamics of flying birds, running water as symbols of steady growth. In this case, the coat of arms becomes not only a symbol of the territory, but also a bearer of its meanings, building their hierarchy. The semantics of heraldic symbols, their modern interpretation (with an emphasis on harmony with nature) allows us to evaluate the heraldic tradition of the Republic of Bashkortostan, to identify the novelty — the connection of natural history objects with the cultural code, historical heritage, representation of the synthesis of natural history and public consciousness in the modern social and cultural environment.
Keywords: natural history, heraldry, Bashkortostan, geoparks, Toratau geopark, historical and cultural heritage
Acknowledgments: the authors thank Doctor of Historical Sciences B. A. Aznabaev for his help in working on the article.
For citation: Rakhimov RN, Urazova AI, Frolova IV. Toratau Geopark: symbols and meanings of territorial heraldry in historical projection. Center and Periphery. 2023;18(1):72—79. EDN CHALMK
1. Bashkir folk art. Ufa;2002. (In Russ.)
2. Bashkortostan. State symbols and symbols of cities and regions. Ufa;2007. (In Russ.)
3. Validi AZ. History of the Bashkirs. Ufa; 2010. (In Russ.)
4. Dal VI. Bashkir mermaid. Bashkiria in Russian literature. Ufa;1989;1:172—187. (In Russ.)
5. Additions to historical documents collected and published by the Archaeographic Commission. St. Petersburg;1875;9. (In Russ.)
6. Kuzeev RG. Bashkir shezhere. Ufa;1960. (In Russ.)
7. Lepekhin II. Travel notes of academician I. I. Lepekhin. Complete collection of scholarly travels in Russia. St. Petersburg;1821;3. (In Russ.)
8. Modestov N. The village of Tabynskoe and Voznesenskaya pustyn. The Tabynsk Icon of the Mother of God and the procession from the village of Tabynskoye to Orenburg and other places of the Orenburg eparchy. Proceedings of the Orenburg scientific archival commission. Orenburg;1914;31. (In Russ.)
9. Nadergulov MKh. Bashkir handwritten historical sources of the late XIX — the early XX centuries in the written heritage of G. Kiikov. Unique sources on the history of Bashkortostan. Proceedings of the scientific-practical conference. Ufa;2001:107—111. (In Russ.)
10. Soboleva NA. Essays on the history of Russian symbols: From tamga to symbols of state sovereignty. Moscow;2006. (In Russ.)
11. Khazanov AM. Nomads and the outside world. Almaty;2002. (In Russ.)
12. Artists of the Republic of Bashkortostan: album-catalog. Ufa;2011. (In Russ.)
13. Chingiznam. Anthology of Bashkir literature: XIII — XVIII. Ufa;1999:1. (In Bashk.)
Information about the authors:
Ramil N. Rakhimov, Head of Department of Russian History, Historiography and Source Studies of the Institute of History and Public Administration of the Ufa University of Science and Technology (32 Zaki Validy Str., Ufa 450076, Russia), Candidate of Historical Sciences, Associate Professor, ORСID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5642-6591, firstname.lastname@example.org
Amina I. Urazova, Director of the Institute of History and Public Administration of the Ufa University of Science and Technology (32 Zaki Validy Str., Ufa 450076, Russia), Candidate of Historical Sciences, Associate Professor, ORСID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1184-1465, email@example.com
Irina V. Frolova, Professor of Department of Russian History, Historiography and Source Studies of the Institute of History and Public Administration of the Ufa University of Science and Technology (32 Zaki Validy Str., Ufa 450076, Russia), Doctor of Philosophical Sciences, ORСID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6687-1963, Researcher ID: AAQ-7620-2021, Scopus ID: 57190436896, firstname.lastname@example.org
Contributions of the authors:
Rakhimov R. N. — concept development, data collection and literature analysis, writing the initial version of the article;
Urazova A. I. — methodology development, data collection, text revision;
Frolova I. V. — analysis and revision of the text, scientific editing of the article.
Conflict of interests: the authors declare no conflict of interest.
The authors have read and approved the final version of the manuscript.
The article was submitted 06.09.2022; approved after reviewing 10.10.2022; accepted for publication 17.10.2022.