Научно-публицистический журнал “Центр и периферия”
The scientific journal “Center and Periphery”
Аgeevа G. М.
The topic of media analytics, media research and media monitoring is attractive foremost for its applied potential — the ability to present visually the development results of a particular direction mainly in quantitative manifestations and, therefore, to identify problematic and promising points, areas of improvement, as well as the scale of involvement in scientific work not only of scientists (sociologists, philosophers, culturologists), but also practitioners (journalists, analysts) and students. The article discusses the capabilities of analytical tools used for researching the media space based on the example of an automated system for real time media and social media monitoring “Medialogy”; comprehends the results of the mini-study “Mordovia University in the media environment”, held in 2022 by students of the direction of training “Media Communication” of the National Research Ogarev Mordovia State University. Numerical results of the response of the Medialogy system to the query about the Mordovia University (the period from May 29, 2021 to May 29, 2022) indicate the activation of the PR campaign of the university compared to the previous similar time period and its success. The study of the subject themes and the “tonality” of the most resonant and cited messages revealed the most interesting materials for the society related to the university, and their emotional background. The analysis of the methodological component and functionality of the Medialogy system made it possible to highly appreciate its research tools and draw conclusions about the prospects of media analytics and its attractiveness for student scientific research.
Keywords: media, media analytics, media research, media monitoring, media resources, media technologies
Acknowledgments: the author thanks the company “Medialogy” for demo access to the monitoring and analysis system for mass media and social media of the same name.
For citation: Аgeevа GМ. Media analytics tools: usage potential in higher education: (On the example of Ogarev Mordovia State University). Center and Periphery. 2023;18(2):38—45. EDN DAPCTQ
1. Avramenko IL. Analysis of the media of the Kemerovo region based on the Medialogy system. Social Сommunications: Science, Education, Profession. 2016;(16-2):100—105. (In Russ.)
2. Androsov AYu, Borodashchenko AYu, Kiryukhina AA. Blogosphere monitoring algorithm on the subject of relationship to political actors. News of the Tula State University. Technical Sciences. 2021;(2):91—96. (In Russ.)
3. Anikina ME. The subject-object field of modern media studies: the experience of empirical analysis. Journalism in 2018: creativity, profession, industry. Proceedings of materials of the international scientific and practical conference. Мoscow;2019:5—6. (In Russ.)
4. Vartanova EL. Digital capital as hybrid capital: towards new concepts in media studies. Medi@lmanah. 2021;(4):8—19. URL: http://mediaalmanah.ru/files/105/812.php (In Russ.)
5. Demesheva MP. Changing of media consumption processes in Russia during the 2020 pandemic. Lomonosov-2021. Proceedings of the international scientific conference. Sevastopol;2021:135—137. (In Russ.)
6. Dunas DV, Gureeva AN. Media studies in Russia: defining its academic status. Theoretical and Practical Issues of Journalism. 2019;8(1):20—35. (In Russ.)
7. Molokovskiy DS, Nezdyurov AL. Prospects for using the automated system for media monitoring and media analysis “Medialogy” for political forecasting. Prospects for the Development of Information Technologies. 2014;(20):56—67. (In Russ.)
8. Pershina TA, Dolgikh EA, Bashina OE, Davletshina LA. Analysis of modern statistical software. Academy Bulletin. 2020;(4):7—16. (In Russ.)
9. Polezhaev VD, Yusupova KO. Prediction of the rating of television channels based on data from media research. Fundamental Research. 2019;(5):99—104. (In Russ.)
10. Savchenko TI. Role of “Medialogy” in social and cultural life. The impact of the latest technologies, media and the Internet on education, language and culture. Proceedings of the conference. Мoscow;2020:168—174.
11. Urmancheeva LR. Formation of the media rating of the heads of the capitals of the regions in the Medialogy system. Science Alley. 2018;8(11):941—947. URL: https://alley-science.ru/domains_data/files/Journal_Dec18/8%20tom%20dekabr%20isp.pdf (In Russ.)
12. Frolova MP. The role of corporate culture in the formation and promoting of the company image on the example of “Medialogia”. Student of the year 2020. Proceedings. Petrozavodsk;2020:218—228. (In Russ.)
Information about the author:
Galina M. Ageeva, Professor of the Department of Cultural Studies and Library and Information Resources of the National Research Ogarev Mordovia State University (68 Bolshevistskaya Str., Saransk 430005, Russia), Doctor of Cultural Studies, Associate Professor, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9135-3765, firstname.lastname@example.org
Conflict of interests: the author declares no conflict of interests.
The author has read and approved the final version of the manuscript.
The article was submitted 09.01.2023; approved after reviewing 01.03.2023; accepted for publication 07.03.2023.