Научно-публицистический журнал “Центр и периферия”
The scientific journal “Center and Periphery”
Shindel S. V.
The present article deals with the issues and contradictions that have formed by the present time around the concept of cultural heritage. The first issue is the approach of researchers itself that consists in an attempt to formulate the definition of cultural heritage as such, outside the “human” and “spatial” contexts. The second issue is the attempts to organize a comprehensive system of heritage objects. The difficulty to determine the actual creator-carrier (ethnos or group of ethnoses) of objects, which are the result of cultural diffusion, is the next one. The fourth issue is researchers ignoring the dynamic nature of cultural heritage. In addition, the last one is the translation of samples of cultural heritage to the youth environment. The topic under discussion seems to be significant in modern conditions, when the global processes actualize the search for ethnic social and cultural identity; there is a need to describe and preserve cultural forms that are ontologically characteristic of each nation in particular and the world community as a whole. These cultural forms contain unique ethnic features, mark the originality of the nation, proclaim and affirm the inviolability of spiritual values and landmarks, the leveling or absence of which challenge both the civilizational and biological survival of any ethnos. In order to preserve historical memory and awareness of ethno-cultural involvement, it is necessary to clarify the content of the definition of “cultural heritage”, excluding a certain “vagueness”, to state clearly the borders of the problem field of this concept. Translation and popularization of cultural heritage in the context of historical realities and geopolitical transformations of the XXI century are of particular difficulty.
Keywords: cultural heritage, ethnos, nation, youth, space, cultural diffusion, preservation, translation
For citation: Shindel SV. Cultural heritage: issues and contradictions of definitions. Center and Periphery. 2023;18(2):90—96. EDN DUZQWQ
1. Baeva LV. Preservation of cultural heritage as the embodiment of the value of tradition. Philosophy and Society. 2012;(1):109—118. (In Russ.)
2. Bauman Z. Power without a place, a place without power. Sociological Journal. 1998;(3/4):86—100. (In Russ.)
3. Boas F. Evolution or diffusion? Anthology of Cultural Studies. St. Petersburg;1997;1:343—347. (In Russ.)
4. Galkova ОV. Cultural heritage: structure and content of the concept. Facets of Cognition. 2010;(4):6—8. URL: http://grani.vspu.ru/jurnal/9 (In Russ.)
5. Galkova ОV. Theoretical foundations of cultural heritage. Bulletin of the Volgograd State University. Philosophi. Sociology and Social Technologies. 2011;(3):110—114. (In Russ.)
6. Dobrynin DS. Concept of “cultural heritage” in the Humanities. Bulletin of the Buryat State University. 2012;(6a):236—239. (In Russ.)
7. Ilyin VV. The theory of cognition. Epistemology. Moscow;1994. (In Russ.)
8. Klimov LA. Cultural heritage as a system. The Issues of Museology. 2011;(1):42—46. URL: https://voprosi-muzeologii.spbu.ru/ru/arkhiv-nomerov/55-voprosy-muzeologii-1-3-2011.html (In Russ.)
9. Kruglikova GA. Heritage in the modern socio-cultural space: towards the problem statement. Social and Humanitarian Education: Man, Society, State (Historical and Pedagogical Aspects). Proceedings. Ekaterinburg;2019:58—63. (In Russ.)
10. Kuryanova TS. Cultural heritage: the semantic field and practice. Tomsk State University Journal. Cultural Studies and Art Criticism. 2011;(2):12—18. (In Russ.)
11. Malkina LN. Towards the problem of cultural heritage. Proceedings of Irkutsk State Technical University. 2014;(3):277—284. (In Russ.)
12. Polyakova МА. “Cultural heritage”: historical dynamics of the concept. Observatory of Culture. 2006;(1):60—63. (In Russ.)
13. Yanitskij МS [et al.]. The value orientations system of generation Z: social, cultural and demographic determinants. Siberian Psychological Journal. 2019;(72):46—67. (In Russ.)
14. Shapovalova GМ. The concept of digital cultural heritage and its genesis: theoretical and legal analysis. Territory of New Opportunity. Bulletin of the Vladivostok State University of Economics and Service. 2017;(4):159—168. (In Russ.)
15. Shestova SM. Principles for the protection of the world cultural heritage and global challenges. Bulletin of the Moscow State University of Culture and Art. 2015;(6):122—127. (In Russ.)
Information about the author:
Svetlana V. Shindel, Associate Professor of Department of Economics and Humanities of the Engels Institute of Technology (branch) of the Yuri Gagarin State Technical University of Saratov (17 Svobody square, Engels 413100, Russia), Candidate of Cultural Studies, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5253-0068, email@example.com
Conflict of interests: the author declares no conflict of interests.
The author has read and approved the final version of the manuscript.
The article was submitted 26.09.2022; approved after reviewing 07.02.2023; accepted for publication 14.02.2023.