Научно-публицистический журнал “Центр и периферия”
The scientific journal “Center and Periphery”
Amzarakova I. P., Babayeva R. I., Bespalova S. V., Lapteva I. V., Pakhmutova Е. D.
In Russian humanities, the study of personality as a subject of culture in the context of the role and place of personalities in a certain era has become one of the important research areas. The figure and activities of the Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences, Professor V. P. Furmanova, known both in Russia and in Europe, deserve a deep and comprehensive study, because in her ideas and actions she was the embodiment of exemplary mentoring qualities: a teacher, linguist, world-renowned scholar, who made a significant contribution to the development of Russian methods of foreign languages teaching. Her thoughts on the trinity of intercultural communication (language — culture — subject) are of great importance for the formation of a personality who, through immersion in the culture of another language, is more clearly aware of the values of his native culture. Furmanova herself is a concentration of such culture-forming characteristics as humanism, pedagogical talent, moral aspirations, patriotism, civic activity, inexhaustible enthusiasm, indifference to socially significant problems, purposefulness, high cultural level and decency. Selfless service to the profession, wisdom, sociability and honesty in relationships, compliance with ethics and morality, managerial abilities and openness to a diverse age and status audience contributed to the fact that an outstanding teacher thought fundamentally, “lit up” with ideas, constantly gave impetus to movement, set goals and found extraordinary ways to solve professional, social, inter- and intrapersonal problems. The authors of the article analyze the social roles of V. P. Furmanova (personality, patriot, teacher, leader, scholar, mentor, social activist), presenting to a wide range of readers fragments of her interviews, memories of colleagues, students, friends and associates, reflections on what a modern mentor — a university teacher should be.
Keywords: The Year of Teacher and Mentor, world-renowned scholar, Valentina Furmanova, research school, intercultural communication, teaching methods, foreign languages
For citation: Amzarakova IP [et al.]. Valentina Furmanova: memories and reflections on the Personality, Teacher, Mentor. Center and Periphery. 2023;18(3):97—110. EDN YBEJXL
1. Amzarakova IP. All-Russian scientific and practical conference with international participation “Foreign languages and intercultural communication: the role and place in modern education”. Bulletin of Katanov Khakass State University. 2014;(10):146—147. (In Russ.)
2. Amzarakova IP, Buraeva TV, Karpov AS. Interregional Association of Teachers of the German language. Foreign Languages at School. 2015;(8):50—53. (In Russ.)
3. Babaeva RI. Development of intercultural competence in the field of business communication in the study of the German language. Magic of INNO: new in the study of the language and the methodology of its teaching. Proceedings in 2 volumes.Moscow;2015;2:26—29. (In Russ.)
4. Burenina EN, Lapteva IV. The concept of “intelligence” in Russian and German cultures. Materials of the XXII scientific and practical conference of young scientists, postgraduates and students of the National Research Ogarev Mordovian State University. Proceedings in 3 parts. Saransk;2019;3:251—255. (In Russ.)
5. Gasparishvili AG, Krukhmaleva OV. Mentoring as a social phenomenon: modern challenges and new realities. National Education. 2019;(35):109—115. (In Russ.)
6. Grinko EN. Mentorship and a mentor as sociocultural phenomena. Human. Culture. Education. 2023;(1):10—25. (In Russ.)
7. Dolzhenko RA, Saltsev AA. New directions of mentoring development in the Russian Federation. Pedagogical Education in Russia. 2018;(9):6—11. (In Russ.)
8. Karpov AS. Effective international cooperation as a goal, a means and a system of necessary competencies in the process of professionally oriented intercultural communication. Theory and practice of foreign languages teaching: traditions and innovations. Proceedings. Ulan-Ude;2013:168—172. (In Russ.)
9. Lapteva IV, Pakhmutova ED. Multilingualism as a guarantee of successful cultures interaction in the global world. Center and Periphery. 2019;(3):12—16. URL: http://niign.ru/centrandperifirya/czentr-i-periferiya-3-2019-ispr.pdf (In Russ.)
10. Lapteva IV, Ustimova TV. Higher school lecturer personality: social, professional, pedagogical, psychological and motivational cultures. Bulletin of the Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia. 2014;(4):220—227. URL: http://niign.ru/nauchnie-jurnaly/vestnik-4,2014.pdf (In Russ.)
11. Furmanova VP [et al.]. Intercultural communication and innovations in teaching of foreign languages at the university. Saransk;2005. (In Russ.)
12. Pakhmutova ED. Strategies of intercultural language of teaching foreign in the structure of project activities. Bulletin of the Mordovian University. 2008;18(3):209—211. (In Russ.)
13. Ter-Minasova SG. The culture of dialogue as a way to a dialogue of cultures. Pedagogical aspect. Language, literature and culture as facets of intercultural communication. Collection of scientific works. Moscow;2017:35—47. (In Russ.)
14. FÖldesh Cs, Furmanova VP. Intercultural communication in the professional training of master’s students: concept and structure of a joint educational project. Integration of Education. 2020;24(4):591—607. (In Russ.)
15. Furmanova VP. Information about the general meeting of the APSS (November 23 — 24, 1998, Moscow). Integration of Education. 1998;3-4:70—71. (In Russ.)
16. Furmanova VP. Intercultural communication as a methodology of foreign language education. Language and Culture. 2021;(56):254—272. (In Russ.)
17. Furmanova VP, Lapteva IV. Communicative behavior in intercultural communication: discursive and interpretative analysis. Center and Periphery. 2020;(3):4—7. URL: http://www.niign.ru/centrandperifirya/3-2020-czentr-i-periferiya.pdf (In Russ.)
18. Furmanova VP. Intercultural communication as a necessary component of ethnotourism. Ethnic worlds and cultural universals. Proceedings. Saransk;2013:206—209. (In Russ.)
19. Lapteva IV. The activity of the Association of Teachers of German “Mordovia” for the popularization of the German language. Exemplary German in Russia. Moskau;2017:26—30. (In German)
Information about the authors:
Irina P. Amzarakova, Professor of Department of Foreign Linguistics and Language Theory of the Katanov Khakass State University (90 Lenin Str., Abakan 655017, Russia); Member of the Presidium of the Interregional Association of German Teachers (6 Miklukho-Maklay Str., Moscow 117198, Russia), Doctor of Philological Sciences, Associate Professor, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4287-8762, firstname.lastname@example.org
Raisa I. Babayeva, Professor of Department of Foreign Philology of the Ivanovo State University (39 Ermak Str., Ivanovo 153025, Russia), Doctor of Philological Sciences, Associate Professor, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4501-0881, email@example.com
Svetlana V. Bespalova, Head of Department of German Philology of the National Research Ogarev Mordovia State University (68 Bolshevistskaja Str., Saransk 430005, Russia), Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences, Associate Professor, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0529-6608, firstname.lastname@example.org
Irina V. Lapteva, Principal Researcher — Нead of Department of Theory and History of Culture of the Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia (3 L. Tolstogo Str., Saransk 430005, Russia); Professor of Department of German Philology of the National Research Ogarev Mordovia State University (68 Bolshevistskaja Str., Saransk 430005, Russia), Doctor of Philosophical Sciences, Associate Professor, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-0444-4237, Researcher ID: O-3676-2015, Scopus ID: 57203011236, email@example.com
Elena D. Pakhmutova, Associate Professor of Department of German Philology of the National Research Ogarev Mordovia State University (68 Bolshevistskaja Str., Saransk 430005, Russia); Мultiplicator of Goethe Institute (95а Leninsky Prospect, Moscow 119313, Russia), Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences, Associate Professor, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2317-4778, Scopus ID: 57211296171, firstname.lastname@example.org
Contribution of the authors:
Amsarakova I. P. — collection of material on V. P. Furmanova’s social activities, scientific editing of the text;
Babaуeva R. I. — statement of the research problem, collection of material on V. P. Furmanova’s research activities, generalization of research results;
Bespalova S. V. — conducting interview with V. P. Furmanova, selection of material from her personal archive, review of her publications;
Lapteva I. V. — concept development, selection of material from V. P. Furmanova’s personal archive, scientific editing of the text;
Pakhmutova E. D. — collection of material on V. P. Furmanova’s pedagogical activities, literature review; data analysis and format editing.
Conflict of interests: the authors declare no conflict of interests.
The authors have read and approved the final version of the manuscript.
The article was submitted 23.05.2023; accepted for publication 06.06.2