Научно-публицистический журнал “Центр и периферия”
The scientific journal “Center and Periphery”
Korovin V. V.
Monuments of military glory on the battlefields are an important means of monumental propaganda of the bright pages of the history of our country related to its defense from foreign invaders. Currently, there is an increase in research interest in the experience of memorializing the events of military history. The subject of study is not only the circumstances of the creation of monuments, but also their design features, artistic and aesthetic characteristics, historical justification of personal or event dedication. In the year of the 80th anniversary of the victory in the Battle of Kursk, special attention of the public is focused on its history, reflected in numerous works of monumental art as well. The decision to erect and the construction of one of the first monuments of the Great Patriotic War date back to 1943 and are related to the battles on the Kursk Bulge. This article summarizes the practice of creating the most significant memorial objects dedicated to this important historical event on the basis of documentary sources discovered in regional and departmental archives, materials from periodicals and the author’s personal experience in organizing sightseeing, tourist and military memorial work. The introduction of previously unused documents into scientific circulation and the continuation of activities on the creation of memorial objects required additional attention to the above-mentioned issues.
Keywords: the Battle of Kursk, monumental propaganda, memorial object, monument of military glory, sculpture, project
For citation: Korovin VV. Perpetuation of the memory of the heroes and events of the Battle of Kursk by means of monumental propaganda. Center and Periphery. 2023;18(2):8—18. EDN ADMHRY
1. Alekseev ZN, Beldiev PM. To the places of the Battle of Kursk: (To help tourists and tour guides). Kursk;1963. (In Russ.)
2. The Great Patriotic War of 1941 — 1945 in 12 volumes. Vol. 12. Results and lessons of the war. Moscow;2015. (In Russ.)
3. Dunaev MM. On the land of the Great Battle (Kursk and Orel regions). Moscow;1976. (In Russ.)
4. Zolotukhin AYu. The role of military memorial work in the public life of the Kursk region (the second half of the XX — the early XXI centuries). Dis. ... Cand. of Hist. Sci. Kursk;2013. (In Russ.)
5. Zolotukhin AYu, Korovin VV, Manzhosov AN, Nemtsev AD. Military memorial work in the Kursk region. Klio. 2009;(1):97—104. (In Russ.)
6. Zolotukhin AYu, Korovin VV, Manzhosov AN. “And monuments breathe as if alive”. (Monuments of military glory erected on Kursk land in honor of the events of the Great Patriotic War). Kursk;2010. (In Russ.)
7. Zolotukhin AYu, Korovin VV, Manzhosov AN. Monuments dedicated to the events of 1943 on the Kursk land. Military Historical Archive. 2013;(5):8—39. (In Russ.)
8. Zolotukhin AYu, Korovin VV, Manzhosov AN. “The whole earth needs this memory...” (Monuments of military glory of the Kursk region dedicated to the events and heroes of the Great Patriotic War: a historical guide). Kursk;2014. (In Russ.)
9. Kizilova EV. Activities of authorities and public associations on monumental propaganda of the events and heroes of the Battle of Kursk (1940 — 1990s). Dis. ... Cand. of Hist. Sci. Kursk;2021. (In Russ.)
10. Kolyakina OA. Shield and sword of the height of 254.5. History of the Battle of Kursk: problems and prospects of research and preservation of memory. Proceedings of the international scientific-practical conference. Kursk;2018:240—242. (In Russ.)
11. Korovin VV, Manzhosov AN, Leonova EL, Golovin EA. “We glorify our time with an honest and righteous life...” (Social and political activities of Kursk students in the 1960s — 1980s). Kursk;2018. (In Russ.)
12. Melikhova YuA. The history of the youth search and local history movement in Russia in the 40s — the early 90s of the XX century (based on the materials of the Kursk region). Dis. ... Cand. of Hist. Sci. Kursk;2011. (In Russ.)
13. Moskvin BV. Roads of glory. Routes to places of revolutionary, military and labor glory of the Soviet people. Moscow;1983:179—183. (In Russ.)
14. Moshenskiy AI. Memorable places of the Battle of Kursk. Kursk;1980. (In Russ.)
15. Ozerova VV. Reflection of the role of K. K. Rokossovsky and his associates in the victory at the Kursk Bulge in the exposition of the historical and memorial Museum “CP of the Central Front”. History of the Battle of Kursk: problems and prospects of research and preservation of memory. Proceedings of the international scientific-practical conference. Kursk;2018:260—272. (In Russ.)
16. Proshlyakov AI. Brief notes on the way passed. Moscow;2003. (In Russ.)
17. Semenikhina TS. The activity of Komsomol organizations and public associations of the Kursk region on civil and patriotic education of youth in the 50s — the 90s of the XX century. Dis. ... Cand. of Hist. Sci. Kursk;2009. (In Russ.)
18. Tsukanov IP. The activity of the search and local history public organizations of the Central Chernozem region at the end of the XX — the beginning of the XXI century to preserve the historical memory of the Great Patriotic War. Kursk;2009. (In Russ.)
Information about the author:
Vladimir V. Korovin, Professor of Department of Constitutional Law of Southwest State University (94 50 let Oktyabrya Str., Kursk 305040, Russia), Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8353-526X, Researcher ID: N-6673-2017, Scopus ID: 55975918700, firstname.lastname@example.org
Conflict of interests: the author declares no conflict of interests.
The author has read and approved the final version of the manuscript.
The article was submitted 27.03.2023; approved after reviewing 24.04.2023; accepted for publication 28.04.2023.