Научно-публицистический журнал “Центр и периферия”
The scientific journal “Center and Periphery”
Kireev K. A., Lapteva I. V.
Any video content, due to its openness, accessibility, visibility and heterogeneous information, contributes to the increase of knowledge. This article attempts to identify the specifics of the film production of documentaries at the present time. Among the main characteristics of documentaries, the reliability of previously unknown facts and an objective representation of events, phenomena, personalities based on the research component, propagandistic beginning, long-term perspective of impact, etc. are noted. The functions of documentary cinema (informational, journalistic, scientific and popularizing, educational, artistic, etc.) are listed. On the example of the documentary film-portrait “Ivan Gusev. The feat on the Kursk Bulge” the authors drew conclusions about the need to highlight significant events and personalities with the help of historical reconstructions in the cinema. This film will serve as an additional material for conducting school and university classes, patriotic lessons, conversations about important things and other educational activities. New information about the unforgettable pages of military history, about the exploits of the natives of the Republic of Mordovia, about the worldview of the heroes of the past and present positively affect the civic consciousness of contemporaries. In general, documentary cinematography is an instrument for the formation of such patriotic qualities as love for a small and large homeland, native nature, our own people and their cultural heritage, service to the Fatherland, etc.
Keywords: documentary cinematography, military history, non-fiction films, educational function, patriotism, cultural heritage
For citation: Kireev KA, Lapteva IV. “Ivan Gusev. The feat on the Kursk Bulge”. Documentary cinematography in the modern culture of the Republic of Mordovia. Center and Periphery. 2023;18(2):75—82. EDN FBAPPD
1. Bikeуkin EN, Pisachkin VA. The phenomenon of history falsification: the problem of definitions. Center and Periphery. 2020;(4):4—18. URL: http://niign.ru/centrandperifirya/czentr-i-periferiya-4,2020.pdf (In Russ.)
2. Koshin II, Koshina OV. Development of historical reconstruction as part of cultural and educational tourism. Ogarev-online. 2021;(4). URL: https://journal.mrsu.ru/arts/razvitie-istoricheskoj-rekonstrukcii-kak-sostavlyayushhej-kulturno-poznavatelnogo-turizma (In Russ.)
3. Kursheva GA. Historical memory as a basis of cultural code of Mordovian (Moksha and Erzya) people preservation. Center and Periphery. 2019;(3):17—21. URL: http://niign.ru/centrandperifirya/czentr-i-periferiya-3-2019-ispr.pdf (In Russ.)
4. Kursheva GA, Bikeуkin EN. The Sura defensive frontier in the project activities of the regional branch of the Russian Military and Historical Society in the Republic of Mordovia. Center and Periphery. 2021;(4):10—14. URL: http://niign.ru/centrandperifirya/czip-4-2021(30).pdf (In Russ.)
5. Lapteva IV, Pakhmutova ED, Bikeykin EN. “Country of Heroes” — cultural and educational platform of the patriotic camp of the Russian Military Historical Society. Center and Periphery. 2023;(1):26—35. URL: http://centrniign.ru/gallery/C-1-2023-st03.pdf (In Russ.)
6. Lapteva IV, Pakhmutova ED. Advantages and disadvantages of digitalization of liberal education. Bulletin of Samara University. History, pedagogy, philology. 2020;26(1):89—94. URL: https://journals.ssau.ru/hpp/article/view/7733/7613 (In Russ.)
7. Pakhmutova ED, Lapteva IV, Chernov AV. Basics of social design on the example of grant activities of the Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia. Center and Periphery. 2022:(4):10—16. URL: http://centrniign.ru/gallery/C-4-2022-st02.pdf (In Russ.)
8. Penzin SN. Cinema as a means of education. Voronezh;1973. (In Russ.)
9. Pivtsaykina OA, Suldina LV, Shkerdina NO, Shchukin DS. Patriotism as a basis for preservation of historical memory: theoretical aspects in the refraction of regional practice. Center and Periphery. 2021;(4):4—9. URL: http://niign.ru/centrandperifirya/czip-4-2021(30).pdf (In Russ.)
Information about the authors:
Kirill A. Kireev, Lecturer of Department of Cultural Studies and Library and Information Resources of the National Research Ogarev Mordovia State University (68 Bolshevistskaja Str., Saransk 430005, Russia); Postgraduate Student of the Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia (3 L. Tolstogo Str., Saransk 430005, Russia), ORCID: https://orcid.org/0009-0003-4437-2164, email@example.com
Irina V. Lapteva, Principal Researcher — Head of Department of Theory and History of Culture of the Research Institute of the Humanities by the Government of the Republic of Mordovia (3 L. Tolstogo Str., Saransk 430005, Russia); Professor of Department of German Philology of the National Research Ogarev Mordovia State University (68 Bolshevistskaja Str., Saransk 430005, Russia), Doctor of Philosophical Sciences, Associate Professor, ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-0444-4237, Researcher ID: O-3676-2015, Scopus ID: 57203011236, firstname.lastname@example.org
Contribution of the authors:
Kireev K. A. — collection and analysis of literature, concept development, writing of the initial variant of the article, empirical and analytical activities, generalization and visualization of research results, text formatting;
Lapteva I. V. — formulation of the research problem, development of methodology, scientific editing of the article.
Conflict of interests: the authors declare no conflict of interests.
The authors have read and approved the final version of the manuscript.
The article was submitted 17.03.2023; approved after reviewing 03.04.2023; accepted for publication 10.04.2023.